Sunday, November 4, 2007

Cannabis Thrives in an Afghan Province - New York Times

The reason I decided to blog about this article is basically because of the interesting way things are changing in our own country.  In California, even at the college I am employed at, the presence of prescribed cannabis is increasing continually.

Our school newspaper just had a full two page article complete with color pictures of this ready to harvest crop of huge buds.  Buds are what they harvest, dry, and smoke.  This article not only communicated that right in our community, but all over California there were stores where you can freely go in and buy your weed, that is if you have a prescription.  You even can sample the different varieties of cannabis for sale, sort of like wine tasting.

There is a new breed of doctors out there that are writing prescriptions for the use of cannabis for a seemingly increasing list of ailments.  The list I saw even qualified me for the use of this so called prescribed medicine. 

Fifteen years ago I would have been excitedly waiting in line for my prescription.  Especially when I would be allowed to posses multiple ounces of weed.  Wow, you basically would have to be pretty ignorant today if you don't have a prescription.

Of course the statement always comes up that we might as well legalize it and maybe it will cut our taxes or something.  Duh, legalizing cannabis would be a huge nightmare for our society if that were to happen.  You think people talking of cell phones while driving is a problem, imagine a bunch of stupid stoners driving.  

Yes, I am an X stupid stoner, I used over two ounces a month when I was getting high.  I stayed high continually, I got to the point, in order to maintain my chronic cope, I was blazing about every thirty minuets just to stay boinked.  That is the high I liked to stay in, maybe others prefer a lesser high, but I never met those others in my circles. 

When I quit smoking cannabis it took right around six months for the effects to disappear.  You see, this drug doesn't so much effect you with a physical addiction as it does a physiological addiction.  For me it even went far enough to change my personality, from an extrovert to an introvert.

I have to say now that I have been free from cannabis for fifteen years, even still remembering being high, doesn't even compare with experiencing life sober and free from anything that would alter my state of consciousness.  This is the best high of all, and I have realized that I believed a lie and was damned as a stoner.

For those of you that use cannabis honestly for an ailment and it honestly helps.  The only thing left for you is to weigh the cost to you personally.  Just as we do with every kind of medication we use. 

God Bless YOU

Bill Collier

 

 

Cannabis Thrives in an Afghan Province - New York Times